As many people who are reading this know, either from visiting my website and reading about my journey or having personally talked to me before, I struggled with my weight and health for most of my life, up until till about 5 years ago when I lost the last 40 lbs of fat I had been holding on to, for a total loss of over 100 lbs from my top weight.
And while I have become certified and have been coaching people to their health for three years now with great results, I still run into the resistance from people who don’t believe that the ideas I have adopted can be healthy. Why don’t they believe? Because it flies in the face of what their doctor or the medical system has told them, what the media has told them and the folklore that has been passed on from their families.
The documentary details the completely true history of how the United States and thus nearly the entire western world became so unhealthy. Some quick facts: In 1970, just over 1. 5 million people had been diagnosed with Diabetes in the United States. The number is now over 30 million. Even more concerning is that 100 million people, nearly 1 in 3, have Diabetes or are Pre-Diabetic, not to mention the 40% of the population that are obese. Ask yourself, how is it possible with the non-stop flow of new diet advice, exercise advice and our general obsession with weight loss we are as unhealthy as ever? The truth is that we have everything completely upside-down and backwards. This documentary follows a detailed history spanning 150 years to show how misinformation and outright lies have become the “truth.”
When I was doing chronic cardio to try and loose weight, and become a faster runner, all the while becoming sicker, I started listening to various podcasts and came across a number of people who I have taken inspiration from and modelled some of my personal practices on.
One of these people was Vinnie Tortorich and his “No Sugar, No Grains” (NSNG) approach to eating. I have been listening to his podcast for six plus years.
Over a year ago, he started talking about this movie he was making. He knew that most people don’t have hours to listen to each minute of every podcast, so he decided to make a documentary to sum everything up.
He chose to crowdfund the film and took no money from corporate sponsors so that no one can accuse him of being biased or influenced by industry. Over 3000 people whose lives were transformed by abandoning the traditional dieting advice contributed.
The funny thing that happened to me, when I released the last 40 lbs of fat and my health greatly improved, and I have kept it off for 5 years, friends, family, doctors and the like would tell me I looked great, but that I wasn’t being healthy or that I was strange or that I was harming myself etc.
Sorry, but what makes you an expert? And only now you are concerned with my health?
After trying to explain to my friends, family, strangers and clients why what they have been led to believe is actually wrong, I now have a movie that they can watch to learn the actual “Truth”. Heck, you can borrow my copy if you want.
This film begins with a very touching interviewing with a dad who’s one-year old son had a severe case of epilepsy. Not to ruin anything for anyone, but I will say, that by bucking the conventional treatments the doctors wanted to prescribe including brain surgery, this father was able to stop his son’s seizures in two days of following what is discussed in this movie.
The movie then goes on to interview doctors, researchers, journalists, and other experts to explain:
- How many of the nutritional myths we have all heard began
- How the science behind the current dietary guidelines is extremely flawed
- How the media contributes to the confusion surrounding nutrition and health
- How the food industry is only interested in selling food and isn’t concerned with your health.
- How the medical community is set up to treat sickness with drugs, as opposed to prevention with food
The movie shows how politicians in the late 1970’s decided to recommend a low-fat diet to prevent heart disease even though the science was far from settled and has since been proven wrong.
It was a great big experiment where the American public (and now everywhere else) were unwitting participants and the experiment was a failure. Ever since the US government recommended people cut back on fat and increase their consumption of sugar and grains, the diabetes and obesity rates have skyrocketed in a matter of one generation, my generation.
Some key things this movie will make you think about:
- There is not a single shred of credible evidence showing that saturated fat or cholesterol causes heart disease. Absolutely none.
- Cholesterol is essential. If you eat less cholesterol, your body will make more. If you eat more cholesterol, your body will make less.
- LDL cholesterol is not a good marker of a person’s risk for heart disease. The ratio between HDL and Triglycerides is a much better predictor.
- The American Heart, Diabetes or Cancer associations should not be trusted. This goes for all similar groups in most western countries. FOLLOW THE MONEY!
- There is no such thing as heart healthy whole grains. Sure, you can make the argument that whole grains are better for you than refined white flour, just as filtered cigarettes are better for you than unfiltered cigarettes, but that doesn’t make them good for you.
- Cancer cells feed on sugar.
- The media cannot be trusted to tell the truth. All they care about are ratings/traffic and pleasing their advertisers. FOLLOW THE MONEY!
- The government policy to recommend a low-fat diet was a flawed idea.
- The medical community views you as a customer. If you get healthy, you will be worth a lot less to them over the course of your life.
- Most doctors don’t have a clue about nutrition and are not taught about it in medical school. I know and have personally asked doctors myself.
- There will never be a day where the government or any of those associations mentioned above come out and admit they were wrong. Could you imagine the class action lawsuits that would arise?
- It is up to you to take matters into your own hands and take responsibility for your own health.
As I mentioned earlier, I have followed Vinnie Tortorich and others like him for many years, so I already knew these facts, and thus am bias towards it. The facts presented line up with what I already believed, follow myself and teach to my clients.
I suggest you watch the film with an open mind and consider the possibility that what you think you know about health and nutrition may have been not be based in solid science and have been wrong all along.
I have known that the conventional wisdom surrounding diet and health is completely backwards and this documentary does an excellent job explaining how they got it wrong. You owe it to yourself to watch this.
I got a little behind in writing this review and this movie has been out for a few months already and climbed into the top 10 on iTunes for all movies and number one for documentaries. Also, top ratings on Amazon and other outlets.
Have you seen this movie mentioned once in the mainstream media?
I have not heard a peep about this movie. It’s like no one wants you to see this film and that should make you wonder?
Big business does not want you to see this film and they certainly don’t want you to adopt a healthy lifestyle. When you adopt the lifestyle described in the movie or what I follow and have my clients follow, you’ll end up spending a lot less money on processed food and you end up spending a whole lot less on health care over the course of your life. I will say it one last time: FOLLOW THE MONEY!